While out and about
- Do not drink and drive!
- Make sure purses and wallets are secure on your person.
- Limit the number of credit cards and cash carried with you.
- Do not leave valuable items visible – store them in the trunk.
- Park in areas where there is adequate lighting.
- Remain aware of your surroundings and refrain from shopping alone.
- Have keys ready before getting to your car.
- Report suspicious people or activity to law enforcement immediately!
Preparing home before vacation travel
- Make sure all doors and windows are locked, even if you have an alarm system.
- Activate alarm system and motion detectors when you leave home.
- Make arrangements to hold mail and newspaper delivery.
- Ask a trusted friend or neighbor to tend to your home during your absence.
The Illinois Sheriffs’ Association wishes you a Safe and Happy Holidays!